Easy Ree Drummond Scalloped Potatoes And Ham | One of the nice things about xmas is that while there’s a great deal of cooking and baking, afterwards, there’s usually leftovers – which means Mom gets slightly break from cooking.
But eventually you must cook something, take a look at use that leftover ham? My personal favorite post-Christmas dish is Scalloped Potatoes and Ham. I searched for years before finding this recipe and after modifying it a tad, it’s become our favorite.
Ree Drummond Scalloped Potatoes And Ham
I don’t usually post recipes to the weekend but this particular one is too good to hang about until in the near future, so for this reason you’re seeing it now&hellip ;.
This Scalloped Potatoes and Ham recipe carries a flavorful creamy sauce, chunks of ham, and sliced potatoes. It’s not low-cal at all, but who’s counting this time of year?
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, plus extra for greasing dish
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, washed thoroughly
- 3 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the butter and onions to some large skillet over medium heat and saute until commencing to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour throughout the onions and whisk them together. Continue cooking the onion/flour mixture until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Stir while in the half-and-half and milk and whisk around, allowing the mixture to thicken; this can take 3 to 4 minutes. Atart exercising . pepper, stir the sauce, reduce the heat and keep warm.
- Slice the potatoes really thin using a mandolin or an exceptionally sharp knife, the thinner the better. Generously butter a 2-quart baking dish, then add half the sliced potatoes and half the diced ham. Sprinkle on half the cheese then pour on half the sauce from the skillet. Repeat with all of those other ingredients, ending accompanied by a layer of cheese and sauce. Sprinkle extra pepper on top.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake it for 40 minutes, then take away the foil and bake till the cheese is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling, some other 20 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired and serve it up.