How to Cook Yams in The Oven – Yams in many cases are confused with sweet potatoes because they both have a deep orange color. Yams certainly are a different kind of tuber that are often cooked with brown sugar to help make the popular candied yam recipe that shows on Thanksgiving tables. Yams certainly are a good supply of vitamin A, so you should think about including them in your menu year-round to have the benefits they offer. Add some brown sugar, a few flavorful spices and other ingredients, and bake them in your oven for a lovely and nutritious side dish.
How to Easy Cook Yams in The Oven
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 6 8-ounce yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes), rinsed, patted dry
- Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Stir in crystallized ginger. Season with salt and generous amount of pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill. Bring ginger-molasses butter to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pierce yams in several places with fork; bake on rimmed baking sheet until tender when pierced with fork, about 50 minutes.
- Cut lengthwise slit in each yam and press in ends to open top. Spoon 2 tablespoons ginger-molasses butter into each yam and serve.