Homemade Mac and Cheese Bites – Mac and Cheese is one of the BEST comfort foods on the market in my own honest opinion. I’m not discussing the packaged stuff, but alternatively the homemade goodness. It really is special. One of my favorite reasons for mac and cheese is that you rarely find somebody who doesn’t like it- kids included. My picky eaters gobble this stuff up by the bowl full.
Mac and Cheese Bites
Homemade Mac and Cheese Bites Ingredients :
- 12 ounces (about 4 cups) elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli American cheese, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 large eggs
- 1 box (8 oz) Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 6 cups peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
Homemade Mac and Cheese Bites Directions
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook 7 minutes or per package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cooking until bubbly. While whisking, add 1 1/4 cups of the milk in a thin stream. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in 1 cup of the cheddar and the American cheese. Fold into macaroni in a large bowl. Let cool slightly, then stir in mozzarella and remaining 1 cup cheddar. Spread mac and cheese onto a rimmed sheet. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Use a scoop to spoon out about 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time and shape into 2- to 3-inch balls, compressing slightly.
- Whisk eggs with remaining 1/4 cup milk. Dip balls in egg mixture, then coat in panko.
- Heat oil in a deep 4-quart pot to 360 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Fry 6 or 7 mac and cheese bites at a time for 3 to 4 minutes per batch, until golden. Serve immediately.